- CREEBRIDGE, a village, in the parish of Minnigaff, stewartry of Kirkcudbright, ½ a mile (E.) from Newton-Stewart; containing 262 inhabitants. This place consists of a street of good houses, recently built near a bridge over the Cree, and about a quarter of a mile below the village of Minnigaff. The bridge, from which it takes its name, is a handsome structure of granite, of five arches. The Cree rises on the border of Ayrshire, and for several miles of its course is inconsiderable, but increased by tributary streams, it changes its appearance, and, pursuing its way through a beautiful valley, empties itself into the bay of Wigton. It is navigable for some miles.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Peter McGill — Infobox Mayor imagesize = 180px caption = honorific prefix = Mayor name = Peter McGill honorific suffix = order = 2nd Mayor of Montreal term start = 1840 term end = 1842 predecessor = Jacques Viger successor = Joseph Bourret birth date = August… … Wikipedia
Minnigaff — MINNIGAFF, a parish, in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright; containing, with the village of Creebridge, 1826 inhabitants, of whom 170 are in the village of Minnigaff, ½ a mile (N.) from Newton Stewart. This place, of which the name, in the Gaelic… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Peter McGill — Ne doit pas être confondu avec James McGill. Peter McGill par William Notman en 1861 Peter McGill, né Peter McCutcheon (Creebridge, Écosse, en … Wikipédia en Français
Newton Stewart — (spr. njūt n stjū ĕrt), Marktstadt in Wigtownshire (Schottland), an der Grenze von Kirkcudbrightshire, am Cree, mit Vieh u. Wollhandel und (1901) 2204 Einw., einschließlich der Vorstadt Creebridge … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Peter McGill — (* August 1789 in Creebridge, Wigtownshire, Schottland; † 28. September 1860 in Montreal; bis 1821 Peter McCutcheon) war ein schottisch kanadischer Politiker und Bankier. Er war Parlamentsabgeordneter in der Kolo … Deutsch Wikipedia
Newton-Stewart — NEWTON STEWART, a market town, in Penninghame parish, county of Wigton, 7¼ miles (N. by W.) from Wigton, and 26 (E. by N.) from Stranraer; containing 2172 inhabitants. This place derives its name from its foundation, in the 18th century, by a… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland